- Patient Resources
- Support Groups
- Websites, Books, Documentaries, Blogs and Reports
- Flyers, Posters, Presentations and Merchandise
The LDAA issues a regular newsletter which provides an update on all things Lyme related in Australia and sometimes overseas. Not yet a subscriber? Become one now.
Alternatively, an archive of our Newsletters is available below in PDF:
- Newsflash 23 May 2017
Carlie's story link (omitted in newsflash, apologies)
- May Lyme Project Newsflash 26 April 2017
- Newsflash 20 April 2017
- Newsflash 16 March 2017
- Newsflash 16 February 2017
- Dr R Schloeffel OAM 26 January 2017
- Newsflash 24 January 2017
The following is a list of patient resources you may find useful.
Ask the Doctor - A 6 part series with Dr Yeoh
- Ask the Doctor - Part 1: Carbohydrate Choices.
- Ask the Doctor - Part 2: Immune Dysregulation in the context of Tick Borne Diseases.
- Ask the Doctor - Part 3: Dietary Fat Choices.
- Ask the Doctor - Part 4: Proteins.
- Ask the Doctor - Part 5: The Terrain, The Neuro Immune System & its interface.
- Ask the Doctor - Part 6: Protecting the Mitochondria.
Dealing with a Herx
- An overview on the Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction that some Lyme disease patients encounter.
Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS) - Mould - An interview with Dr Ritchie Shoemaker, MD
International Tick Borne Conference 2014 - Patient notes
There are a variety of support groups available for both Lyme patients and their carers. A mixture of offline and online support is available.
- Lyme Disease Association of Australia - keep up-to-date with all the latest Lyme disease news in Australia.
- Lyme Australia and Friends - a welcoming national group of Lyme disease patients and carers all over Australia;
- Aussie Lyme - an information focussed group for all the latest on Lyme disease.
- MSIDS Inc (Formerly WA Lyme Association) - Offers a public Facebook group along with one for closed discussions. Alternatively they can be contacted via mobile phone 0447 092 660 or email.
- SA Lyme Team - A Facebook group catering for Lyme disease sufferers in South Australia.
- Lyme Disease Victoria- A Facebook group catering for Lyme disease sufferers in Victoria.
- Canberra Lyme Disease Support Group - connect on Facebook and they also have a regular meetup
- Brisbane Lyme Group - connect on Facebook and they also have a regular meetup
LDAA Support Groups (Connect on Facebook)
- Sydney - Offers Northern Sydney (Pymble) group meets Lisa for Northern Sydney.
- Perth (Shenton Park) - Chrysalis - Offers a young persons (10-30 years of age) and adult groups. Both groups meet every 3rd Saturday of the month at Grace Vaughan House 227 Stubbs Tce, Shenton Park. Contact Alisa on email.
Other Support Groups
- Hunter Region MSIDS group - contact Alex
- Greater Western Sydney - Members of this group meet-up face-to-face.
- Noosa Group - Members of this group meet up the last Friday of every month at 35 Mary Street, Noosaville 4566, phone or connect via Facebook to confirm first 07 5449 7088.
- Mid North Coast Lyme Awareness and Support Group - Contact the group organizer.
- Fraser Coast CFS/FM/ME/Lyme Support Group - First Monday of each month, from 9.30 to 11.30 am, Maryborough Community Health Centre, 167 Neptune Street, Maryborough (Conference room - inside front door and turn left, no perfume or anything with odours) - Contact the group organiser.
- Brisbane Lyme Group - connect on Facebook and they also have a regular meetup
- NT Lyme & CFS Support - meet every first Saturday of the month at 11 am at Cafe Karma, Parap. Contact us/confirm meetings 0459 039 121.
- Chronic Illness Support - Monthly on the second Thursday or Sunday
Venue - alternating in Ivanhoe and Hawthorn Flyer for full details
Contact - Peter Owen on email@example.com | https://www.facebook.com/groups/lymediseasevictoria/
- East Gippsland Support Group (Victoria) - contact Sue Braggs on 0458 591 322 (call /text) or email firstname.lastname@example.org or check out the facebook group:
Lyme Disease Awareness and Support for East Gippsland https://www.facebook.com/groups/620875131405790/
Websites, Books, Documentaries, Blogs and Reports
The following list is a small selection of useful websites, books, documentaries, blogs and reports that provide an overview of Lyme disease, research activities and general management of the disease.
- The Californian Lyme Disease Association website has lots of good information about Lyme Disease, as well as the latest news in the Lyme Disease Community. It is worth joining CALDA for their excellent magazine, Lyme Times.
- The Canadian Lyme Disease Foundation website has good information about Lyme disease.
- Dr Nicola McFadzean-Ducharme (who is a member of the Association) has information about Lyme Disease on her practice website to assist medical practitioners and naturopaths. Dr McFadzean-Ducharme recently gave a talk in Sydney on Lyme Disease in Australia - her presentation slides are available online with information about diagnosis and treatment options.
- Lyme Australia Recognition and Awareness - this is a great website with the most up to date and most comprehensive listing of research into Lyme Disease in Australia, including the ticks in Australia that can spread Lyme Disease and the birds that spread these ticks to and around Australia.
- Worldwide Lyme Borreliosis Association - this is another fantastic association that has been established to promote and raise awareness of tick-borne diseases worldwide with an aim of ensuring those suffering are able to access information and advice relating to tick-borne diseases.
- Living with Lyme Disease - this website has great tips and advice about living with Lyme Disease. There is a section on being a teenager with Lyme Disease which has great advice for teenagers - but the advice is also very relevant for people of all ages coping with having Lyme Disease in their life.
- Toxic Mould Support Australia - Provides a wealth of information on Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS) which is often seen in Lyme patients.
The following list is a small selection of useful books on Lyme disease including complementary therapies:
- Insights into Lyme Disease Treatment: 13 Lyme-Literate Health Care Practitioners Share their Healing Strategies, by Connie Strasheim, Maureen McShane M.D. and Thirteen Lyme-Literate Doctors;
- The Lyme Diet: Nutritional Strategies for Healing from Lyme disease, by Dr Nicola McFadzean-Ducharme;
- Lyme Disease in Australia, by Dr Nicola McFadzean-Ducharme;
- The Lyme Disease Solution, by Kenneth B Singleton;
- Why Can't I Get Better? Solving the Mystery of Lyme & Chronic Disease, by Richard I. Horotwitz, M.D;
- Healing Lyme Disease Coinfections: Complementary and Holistic Treatments for Bartonella and Mycoplasma, by Stephen Harrod Buhner; and
- Healing Lyme: Natural Healing and Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis and Its Coinfections, by Stephen Harrod Buhner.
The following is a list is a small selection of documentaries on Lyme disease:
- Under Our Skin explores the lives of several Lyme disease patients, as well as looking at the controversy surrounding Lyme disease in the USA (which has a direct impact on how Lyme disease is treated in Australia). It is a beautiful piece of cinematography which made the intermediate short list of documentaries chosen to be honoured by the Oscars (as well as winning many other awards). You can view trailers of the movie on their website, and also order a copy of the DVD. It is also now available to view by download through iTunes.
- Under Our Skin 2: Emergence - This is the sequel to the hugely successful Under Our Skin documentary.
- Invisibly Ill: A Stealth Reality DVD Documentary - An Australian produced documentary on stealth infections including Lyme disease.
We understand that purchasing documentaries may be financially impossible for some Lyme disease patients, so if you are happy to wait, we do offer a small number of copies that can be rented free of charge. There is often a long wait list and we do ask that renters watch and return the documentaries as soon as possible. Copies can be rented by contact us and selecting "I'd like to borrow a DVD for personal use." Please remember that this service is for Australian residents only.
June 4th, 2016 – Neeva Stephen – To Tell or Not To Tell, That is the Problem
September 14th, 2016 – Karla Williams – When Pain Turns to Fury
The Australian Association of Bush Regenerators recently released a guide to Ticks and Tick-Borne diseases in Australia.
- You can view a copy of the guide here. (updated 2nd May 2014)
Please note that as indicated in this report, there is currently scientific debate on best practise tick removal. At this time the LDAA does not advocate attempting to kill the tick in any fashion prior to removing (with the exception of mass nymph attachments).
Flyers, Posters, Presentations and Merchandise
The following flyers, posters, presentation and merchandise are are available for download, printing and purchase for your information or to utilise at your next awareness event:
- Generic 'Lyme disease in Australia' flyer (PDF, A4 size);
If you require a large amount of flyers for an awareness event please contact us.
- Some of 'Facts about Lyme disease' poster (PDF, A3 size);
- Currently being updated, please inquire via contact-us
- Purchase a selection of t-shirts and other items from the LDAA's store where a percentage of profit from goods are donated to the LDAA;
- Tick removal tools - pronged devices are best as they fit under the head, close to the skin and can remove a tick with a 'twisting' motion. Two recommendations: