Welcome to the Lyme Disease Association of Australia, a small yet powerful registered charity and Australia’s peak patient body. We are committed to achieving multi-sector recognition and world’s best practise diagnosis and treatment for Australian Lyme and associated disease patients in Australia.
The Association undertakes activities in six key areas:
- Advocate for individuals and families living with Australian Lyme and associated diseases with governments, doctors, and local communities;
- Facilitate world’s best practise patient care and support;
- Represent the perspective, lived experience and interests of the Australian patient community;
- Act as a conduit between international developments, research, treatments, and other Lyme communities;
- Fundraise to facilitate improvements for people living with Australian Lyme and associated diseases by supporting the education of doctors and other health professionals;
- Fundraise to support research and innovation in epidemiology, diagnosis and treatment of Australian Lyme and associated diseases; and
- Educate the public and medical sector about the risks of Lyme disease and the need for early diagnosis and treatment (early detection makes this an easily treatable disease).
“In the fullness of time the mainstream handling of chronic Lyme disease will be viewed as one of the most shameful episodes in the history of medicine because elements of academic medicine, elements of government, and virtually the entire insurance industry have colluded to deny a disease. This has resulted in needless suffering of many individuals who deteriorate and sometimes die for lack of timely application of treatment or denial of treatment beyond some arbitrary duration”.
Dr Kenneth Liegner, Physician since 1988
ACNC Charity Tick Approved!
The Lyme Disease Association of Australia is ACNC Charity Tick Approved.
What does this mean? It means we are accountable and transparent to you, our ever growing community. Charities without the ACNC Charity Tick have had issues with meeting their reporting obligations or had action taken.