Wow! As you may have noticed we’ve got a few Lyme awareness events taking place over the next few weeks. We’ve created an Event Calendar on the right hand side of website so that you can view what’s coming up and access all the details!
Here’s a brief summary of what’s happening:
- 1 November 2014 - Come check out an Energetic Composition’s inaugural exhibition in Belmont, WA. See the Facebook event page for more information!
- 29-30 November 2014 – Got a 4×4 and want to get away for the weekend? Get on out to Bee’s 4×4 Adventure at Bylong Creek 4×4 Park and spend some time under the stars and help raise money for the Lyme community. Check out all the details here or register to attend here!
Have you checked out our new online store?
As many of you would know, we’ve been utilising CafePress to allow our supporters to purchase items such as t-shirts with different designs for use at events or just to wear to raise awareness.
After much discussion, we recently shifted to an Australian based alternative which allows customers to select a design and have it applied to a t-shirt, hoodie or even a snazzy tote bag!
The prices are really competitive and again we receive a small commission on any items purchased which helps us to advocate for you!
Australian Government and Lyme happenings
Much has taken place over the last few months with respect to Lyme/Lyme-like illness in Australia:
- The Commonwealth Department of Health (DoH) released its consolidated response to the 39 submissions they received for their original Scoping Study. You can view the response here.
- DoH held a Lyme disease Roundtable on 27 May 2014 with representatives from medical colleges, the Clinical Advisory Committee on Lyme Disease and General Practitioners. You can review a list of outcomes from the meeting here.
- The Clinical Advisory Committee on Lyme Disease met in Canberra on 15 July 2014 for the last time. You can review our Patient Representative’s notes for all the details here.
- DoH released an important media statement on Lyme disease in Australia following a recent segment on A Current Affair. You can view the statement here.
Further information about our work with the Federal Government can be found here.
Vote for the LDAA!
Currently, the Dick Smith Foods Foundation is running a campaign in which the charity will donate 1 million dollars to various charities with the supporters of Dick Smith Foods being the sole decision makers as to where the money will dispersed.
The LDAA are listed on the list of possible recipients and we ask if everyone could please purchase items from the Dick Smith brand, take a picture of the product and either text or email and vote for us. It really is that easy! AND, while you’re at it – please vote for the Karl McManus Foundation as well.
(It does sound strange, but believe it or not you can put an email address on the phone number field for texting and it will go through to Dick Smith Foods.)
Thank you to those who have already voted for us – your support is truly appreciated.
Lyme Research ~ Would you like to help prove existence of Lyme in Australia?
Murdoch University in Western Australia were recently awarded an Australian Research Council (ARC) Linkage Grant to further their tick research program under the leadership of Associate Professor Peter Irwin (Veterinary). The grant will enable the development of ‘a new molecular toolkit to investigate zoonotic tick-borne pathogens in Australia’.
There is an opportunity for all those interested in proving that Lyme disease exists in Australia to be part of this research. Get started by reading this advice and then heading to our contact us page to request a tick donation kit*.
*Please note, do not under any circumstances send specimens (i.e. ticks) using any other vessel or method apart from what is detailed in the instructions provided in the collection kit as there are quarantine and other regulatory issues that need to be followed precisely.